Draft Minutes of Colonsay Community Council

Draft Minutes of Emergency Colonsay Community Council Meeting to discuss COVID-19 epidemic held on 21st April 2020 6pm

Convenor Keith Rutherford

Vice Convener Alex Howard

Treasurer David Hobhouse

Secretary (interim) Jane Howard

Richard Buttrick

Liz McNicholl

Helen Mann

Kevin Byrne


All committee members present plus Donald MacNeill (minute secretary)


1. Matters arising from previous minute

There were no matters arising and the minutes were adopted.


2. Implementation of Upgraded “Lockdown”

Wednesday Ferry

The committee discussed the removal of the Wednesday Ferry. While seeming a good idea, and driven by the advice of the local medical team, this arrangement is seen to be impractical. Colonsay needs the service to be flexible in that if the Monday sailing fails a relief service can be easily organised for Wednesday. This appears difficult as Wednesday becomes an “unscheduled” service and requires confirmation from Transport Scotland to reinstate. It was decided that JH would write and ask that the Wednesday ferry be reinstated.

There were suggestions that minimal use of the Wednesday ferry be promoted but the consensus was that the new system had been tried and it was now up to individuals to try and observe quarantining procedures should we revert to three ferries per week.

DH Stated that Calmac have been helpful in agreeing to transport fertiliser from Islay, a historic arrangement from when there were regular Islay sailings. He is having regular ongoing discussions with Calmac.

Implementation of Quarantine Procedures .

It was felt, from anecdotal evidence, that the quarantining procedures were not being well observed.

The council felt that all they could do was advise the community to observe a 72 hour quarantine procedure and all the usual precautions, hand washing etc.

AH will speak to MacLennan motors and ascertain what instructions have been given to the Colonsay staff.

Quarantine Guidelines.

RH will circulate these to all households.

DH felt it was important to stress the moral obligation to be as safe as possible due to the large number of vulnerable and shielded members of the community.


3. Matters Arising from Community Consultation

MOWI statement. C/F to next week.


4. Community Resilience

There was a discussion “in camera” about potential hardship in the community and the council's role in addressing this.


Community Mental Health

Digital Exclusion

RB. It is important that we are aware of the increasing use of digital technology to promulgate information, and as a means of “connectedness”...facebook etc; and to identify those who have no access and mitigate the consequences.


5. Scottish Govt. Community Funding Update.

LMN. The current applications have been accepted, slightly less awarded than that which was asked.

Applications are being prepared for more funding on behalf of the community organisations.

RB asked that we might be informed of the amount of these grants, and how long this source would last with an eye on identifying future sources.


6. Response when lockdown is lifted.

RB felt “unlocking” would be a gradual procedure.

DH thought islands might well be last to be “unlocked”

JH. At the moment we can only observe until guidance is forthcoming.


7. Newsletter .

RB is preparing.


8. A.O.B .

Accommodation of Key Workers: JH stated that Colonsay Holiday Cottages had been reported to the police for operating their holiday business. They are not.

But you are allowed to provide accommodation for key workers eg. BT, Health etc. It was agreed that this information should be included in the newsletter.

LMN asked about “isolating” these workers and AH described the system they had in place whereby the visiting worker would be allocated premises away from any other.

Masks: KB has sourced 100 masks.

CCDC Moorings at Queen's Bay. CCDC have asked the Community Council to write a letter endorsing an application for licences to put 10 yacht moorings in Queens Bay.

The council were broadly behind this venture but felt that in order to represent the will of the community they needed to know what consultation had been done for this project. DH will ask CCDC what consultation has been done and report at the next meeting.

General Matters. DH asked if matters outwith the Covid 19 crisis should be discussed at the regular ‘emergency' meetings or should there be another meeting.

It was decided that general business should be discussed at the ‘emergency'meetings whereby there was an audible sigh of relief from all participants.

D.O.N.M. Tuesday 28th April @ 6pm.

In case you have stumbled upon this page by accident, Colonsay is a beautiful island in the Hebrides with about 130 inhabitants. Just search online to find out more or use the "Links" facility at the foot of this page.

Site Map and Links